MARÍA FERNÁNDEZ-MÍGUEZ, PhD candidate
Having a Ph.D. was her dream since she begun the Degree in Biology in 2011. In every exam she took she reminded that it was a step less to achieve her objective. Early seeking for an starting collaboration in academic laboratories got her involved in a research project on the taxonomy of Terrestrial Gastropoda from University of Santiago de Compostela (Spain) which gave her solid principles to continue in science. Her Aquaculture master’s degree on the phylogeny of genus Merluccius encouraged her to deepen in phylogenetic methods, population genetics of hakes and hake aquaculture. Her strong commitment to science is leading her to enrich training in foreign centers as simultaneously to the development of her doctoral project at University of Vigo.
EDUCATION & FELLOWSHIPS & AWARDS
- May 2019: Creation and leadership of the science dissemination contest «MARatón: a investigación mariña contada en 8 minutos».
- March-June 2018: Xunta de Galicia supported the Ph. D. grant and the training stage at NOFIMA.
- 2018: «Somos Científicos: sácanos de aquí» best award to science disseminators (link).
- July 2017: Predoctoral grant (2017-2020) from Xunta de Galicia (Spain) (link).
- May-July 2017: Research contract for preservation of DNA collections. CIM-ECIMAT, Spain.
- Feb 2017-present: The Marine Genetic Resources Laboratory, University of Vigo, Spain.
- 2015-2017: MSc. Aquaculture from University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- Dec 2017: Extraordinary MSc award (link) from University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- 2011-2015: BSc. in Biology from University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
Pérez, M., Fernández-Míguez, M., Matallanas, J. et al. Phylogenetic prospecting for cryptic species of the genus Merluccius (Actinopterygii: Merlucciidae). Sci Rep 11, 5929 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-85008-9